SOUTH FORK, CO is designated as the first Continental Divide Trail Community in Colorado.
The Continental Divide Trail Community designation is a program of the Continental Divide Trail (CDT) coalition and seeks to benefit the communities along the trail. Town, cities, and communities along the trail are considered to be assets to the many hikers that travel the CDT annually. They often are good friends and neighbors to those who hike the CDT.
Designation and participation in the program aim to:
- Engage community citizens, trail visitors, and stewards
- Thank communities for their decades of service to hikers
- Act as a catalyst for enhancing sustainable economic development
- Aid local municipalities and regional areas with conservation planning
- Help local community members see the Trail as a resource and asset